Friday, February 14, 2020

How I Know Heavenly Father Loves Me

Lucky me got to speak in Sacrament Meeting in January! Here is my talk:


Good Afternoon!  I am Kristin Paxton and I will tell you a little about me.  I grew up here just a few miles down the road.  My husband Scott is from Cedar City.  We met at the Singles Ward at Southern Utah University.  So, we are proof that singles wards WORK!  We have been married for 17 years. We have 3 kids, a 12 year old girl named Makayla, a 10 year old boy named Sterling, and an 8 year old boy named Lincoln.  And we have 2 cats, Rosco and Fat Gus, and a tank of unnamed fish.  I stay home with the kids and Scott works from home doing internet marketing. We have lived in this Ward for 10 years already!  We had our son Sterling a few weeks after we moved in.  This is a beautiful, convenient area with nice schools and I feel really blessed to live here. I thank Heavenly Father for letting us end up here. 

One of my favorite songs in the Primary Hymnbook is “My Heavenly Father Loves ME”  That is the best song with some nice lyrics. 

Whenever I hear the song of a bird or look at the blue, blue sky
Whenever I feel the rain on my face, or the wind as it rushes by
Whenever I touch a velvet rose, or walk by a lilac tree
I’m glad that I live in this beautiful world, Heavenly Father created for me.
He gave me my eyes that I might see the color of butterfly wings
He gave me my ears that I might hear, the magical sound of things
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart, I thank Him reverently
For all His creations of which I’m a part. Yes, I know Heavenly Father loves me

I have been pondering how I know Heavenly Father loves me, and I would
like to share some thoughts.

1)     He helped my oldest son live
2)     He helped the same son be found in a sea of people
3)     He protected my youngest son from being kidnapped
4)     He helped my hearing restore itself
5)     He helped me live from a 4 wheeler accident

Back when my 10 year old son Sterling was 2, picture a lively Christmas breakfast going on at my parents’ home.  Plenty of food, noise, and distractions happening.  I was happily talking to my grandma when my younger sister mentioned she heard a strange noise and wondered if it was Sterling.  I was engaged in my conversation with grandma and ignored my sister.  Scott followed the noise and went in the basement where he found our toddler alone with his collared shirt stuck on one of those 1980’s plastic horses that bounces with the big springs.  Not only was he stuck, Sterling was dangling in the air and was struggling to breathe.  His face was flushed and he was caught.  I know Heavenly Father loves me because even though I stubbornly ignored the request to check on him, He prompted Scott to go save Sterling.

That same son decided to play hide and seek at the SuperWalmart on Quarry Bend without telling us he was playing the game a few months later.  All I know is Sterling was there one moment and gone the next. By this time, we had a newborn and even though the whole family was there, 2 parents and 3 kids, he just disappeared like a magician’s act.  I frantically looked for him in the clothing section and a good Samaratin noticed how upset I looked and helped join me in the search.  We could not find him at all!  I went to the front desk and described what my son was wearing (by the way, there is nothing worse than having to do that) and the SuperWalmart helped me by doing a Code Adam Lockdown on the store and closing the gates and not letting anyone in or out of the store while this emergency was going down. They described him loudly on the speaker and the whole store joined in the search.  Sterling was a beautiful blond haired toddler and we had no idea if someone just grabbed him to keep or sell or what.  A sweet Asian lady found him and carried him up to the front of the store and the lockdown was lifted.  I know Heavenly Father watched over Sterling that day.  Sterling must be meant for great things!

A different day, 5 years later I was visiting my friend Shirlene, the Hopper’s daughter at her home.  Her 5 year old daughter and my 4 year old son were playing in the fenced backyard as we chatted.  We checked on them after about 15 minutes and they were NOWHERE to be found!!  The gate was unlatched. We looked all over the yard and went to her mom and dad’s house 2 doors down and NO, THEY WERE NOT THERE.  We looked inside her house and they were just GONE, nowhere to be found!  Then we knew if was time to call the police.  Nothing like describing what your kids are wearing to the police.  And not knowing if it would be the last time anyone saw them alive.  IT was an awful, sinking feeling. And I felt like a failure.  I drove home to see if they had tried to get to my house, nothing.  I drove the streets around Brighton High and this is how desperate I was, I even drove fast up to sluffing teenagers and asked if they had seen two 5 year olds walking.  Probably 10 minutes later, which felt like an eternity, by the way, the Police called us back and told us they found the kids and they were in 2 ladies car.  They were a half a mile down the neighborhood going South. Sitting in some lady’s car eating suckers.  So much for Stranger Danger!  Yeah, definitely felt like a failure that day. It turns out they WERE trying to walk to my house to play on the swingset.  I am glad they did NOT make it since I live on the other side of Bengal and them crossing Bengal Boulevard could have had dire consequences. On the other hand, I know Heavenly Father loves me because he saved my son and Shirlene’s daughter from being kidnapped.

In 2015, when I was camping my with family in Mount Pleasant, my hearing felt messed up and clogged.  It bugged me so much that we drove into Ephraim to Walmart and got some ear drops to clear it up.   That didn’t work, so I went to an Ear, Nose, and Throat Doctor the next week.  I asked them to unclog my ear and clear the wax.  The answer they gave me was completely shocking! There was nothing there in my ear.  Literally, it was all cleaned out already.  After more tests and 2 rounds of failed steroids, my hearing was determined to be a huge loss in my right ear- enough to warrant a hearing aide.  I asked the doctors why this happened to me?  Because we could not pinpoint a certain loud noise, like a musical instrument or a loud concert, or someone screaming in my ear, it was determined that it must have been a virus in my body that attacked my hearing.  That was a really sad day to get to be fitted for a hearing aide in my right ear.  Last Fall, 3 months ago, I went back to the same doctor and they tested my hearing again.  Turns out, my hearing has improved, and enough that I don’t even need a device anymore!  That is pretty incredible to me, that Heavenly Father let my hearing improve enough to not need a hearing aide.  I know Heavenly Father is there for me.

I saved my most defining moment for last. In 2013, I always remember the year because 13 is unlucky.  I was unlucky that dreadful day in August.  I took a turn too fast up in the mountains of Eden, UTAH and rolled a 4 wheeler with my toddler son, Sterling.  Sterling was unscathed and was literally carried by angels.  The accident didn’t phase him one bit besides a scratch on his belly.  He was normal and running around the same evening.  I, on the other hand, was black and blue all over my shoulders, back, and legs.  My helmet had a huge gash in it and I’m glad it protected my brain.  We landed in the ONE tree that was even around.  That special tree kept us alive.  We only rolled probably 30 feet instead of the additional 50 feet after the tree.  Heavenly Father loves me because even though I was stubborn and didn’t stay home even though I felt like I should have, and the 6 inch nail in my tire didn’t stop me from going either, HE still kept me alive and carried my son and gave us the tree to land in to stop the rolling.  HE definitely loves me and my family. 

Heavenly Father is always there for me.  He listens when I pray and guides me and protects me when I need help.  He gave me the gift of the Holy Ghost to inspire me and prompt me for safety.  He is very important to me and I would be completely lost without the knowledge of Him in my life.  He gave us his son Jesus Christ to be our example and teacher. 

1)     He helped my oldest son live
2)     He helped the same son be found in a crowd of people
3)     He protected my youngest son from being kidnapped
4)     He helped my hearing restore itself
5)     He helped me live from a 4 wheeling accident

My favorite scripture is Doctrine & Covenants 84:88
God is talking, “ I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.”

That pretty much sums it up. I am so blessed and happy to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ.  I know it is true and the gospel is the place to be if you want a happy and enriching life.  Heavenly Father loves all of us! And I know Heavenly Father loves me.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.




No comments: