Monday, November 14, 2016

Reflections 2016

The Reflections theme this year was "What is Your Story?"  Sterling and Makayla created some projects and entered the contest.  Sterling entered the 3D art category and Makayla entered photography, 3D art, and music composition.

"When I was 4 years old we went four wheeling as a family.  My mom and I hit a big rock as she was driving around the corner and lost control.  The four wheeler rolled 30 feet down the mountain and landed in a tree.  My mom had bruises everywhere, but I only got a small cut on my hand and some road-rash on my tummy.  Helmets saved us.  I am glad to be alive!"

"When I was one years old, I loved to color.  I had a tin set full of crayons.  You know what I would do with my crayons? I would color on anything including walls and books.  Soon after, my parents discovered my artwork and they punished me by taking away my crayons.  Just so you know, I was not very happy!  They forgot about my crayons until we moved six months later.  On a shelf waiting for me, we found my pile of long lost crayons!  Then finally I forgave my parents."

"Ever since I was little, I loved flowers!  The reason I love flowers is their petals are soft as silk, they smell lovely, and they are so pretty!  Two springs ago, we were planting flowers and bought an unfamiliar flower called the Balloon Flower.  It had soft as silk petals, the yummy smell, and it was a beautiful purple color.  We noticed when it was about to bloom, it looked just like a balloon.  Now you know why I love the Balloon Flower and all flowers.  Next time you pass my house in spring, look for the Balloon Flowers!

"When I was 5, my family bought a butterfly cage at the store.  We took it home and ordered a batch of caterpillars.  They came a week later and we put them in the cage.  The caterpillars grew over time and became chrysalises.  We waited patiently for them to hatch, then finally, they crawled freely out of their chrysalises.  The orange, black, and white Monarch butterflies were ready to fly.  Soon after, we unzipped the top of the cage and they flew freely away.

Makayla knew she wanted a song about butterflies.  She had the tune picked out and Grandma Diane helped put Makayla's music to actual notes.  Thank you Grandma.

Sterling's 3D art won for his age level and went on to the council level.

Makayla's crayon picture and butterfly song won and went to the council level also.

Sterling's 3D art won at that level and will go on to the district level.

Makayla's butterfly song will go on to the district level and her crayon picture won 3rd place.

I am really proud of both Makayla and Sterling.  They worked hard and their projects reflected that. They were able to share part of their story.





No comments: